[Kde-imaging] Fwd: On-demand-loading of KIPI plugins

Vardhman Jain vardhman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 06:24:35 CET 2005

On 28/11/05, Jesper K. Pedersen <blackie at blackie.dk> wrote:

> | When it results in unresponsive gui when people choose to do a
> | kipi-action, because it has to load the kipi-plugin, I would rather
> | think it is a very bad thing. I rather have a small delay in startup
> | then delays when using the program.

I would suggest we allow digikam running in taskbar all the time until asked
to quit. I mean like KOrganizer or Kopete. Then we can afford larger startup
time, and have some good responsiveness too.
As discussed earlier, once a plugin is loaded, it stays in the memory, more
so the one time loading of one plugin shouldn't be a big issue as far as
time is concerned.

Well that depends on the pattern of usage, doesn't it?
> If people use plugins in almost all invocation of the application, then I
> agree that delayed loading isn't a good thing, on the other hand if they
> are
> seldom used, then I'm all for delaying loading them.

I agree, I hardly use more than 1-2 kipi-plugin during any session of use of
digikam, for e.g Making HTML album is one time process, sending image s over
email is one time process, all these things are not used, all in one
session. Now that there are 16 plugins or so, it makes sense to load only
one that is to be used.
A loading progress bar during the loading will tell the user that system is
still active and not frozen.

|  > Having said that, I don't have any time to put into this (just see
> |
> | how long it
> |
> | > took to answer this email ;)

regards,
Vardhman