[Kde-imaging] Comments needed Reg Upload to Flickr Kipi plugin

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 20 20:28:37 CEST 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Vardhman Jain wrote:

> Firstly, Uploads are not session/cookie based, every photo has to be
> sent in a form with username and password in it. Meaning we can't ask
> the user the password each time the plugin is invoked. ( So when the
> plugin is invoked should Kwallet be required to authenticate or how
> should I load these values and from where?).

its rare to upload just a single photo. authenticate once when the plugin
dialog opens, and keep the password in memory and reuse it to upload the
photos.

> Secondly, when images are uploaded there are a set of options we can
> send in the html form, they include things like Description, Tags,
> Title and more importantly access permissions like is_public,
> is_family, is_friend see this url for e.g
> "http://www.flickr.com/tools/uploader_go.gne"  . The first three of
> these info will MOSTLY be different for each image, while the last
> three might be very rarely changes, so should I also store these
> things in the settings file for the plugin (does plugins also have rc
> files?)

yes. see other kipi plugins, for eg, the slideshow plugin

> Moreover, the images are grouped not only on the basis of tags, but
> also on basis of sets so what all information should the user be able
> to set while uploading itself and what could be allowed to change
> later?

not sure what you mean here; where are these sets created? the concept of
tags will be different from flickr and individual host apps. some apps,
like digikam, do not differentiate between tags and sets (if sets == a
collection of images). in addition there is the concept of imagecollection
which corresponds to a "set" as defined by the app.

> Can there be a simple right click option to upload? it might be handy
> and fast for the user.

that is app dependent... if the app chooses to embed the plugin actions in
their context menu or not.

renchi