[Kde-imaging] pkg-config and other stuff

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 21 20:12:06 CEST 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 September 2004 18:44, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> | > VIRTUAL BEERS ON ME!
> | >
> | > I had a broken setup with some ancient KIPI files first in my KDE search
> | > path, so I used like one month old files.
> | >
> | > Gilles, please forgive me for this. The search plugin works flawlessly
> | > now. Thanks for your continously fight for this.
> | > It did however, grow slowly to 51% and then announced that it found no
> | > duplicate, but the error with the unknown event is gone
> | >
> | > Still burning cd's seems to be broken.
> | >
> | > I actually like the banner. Let me add one more bullet to the list
> | > 3) it makes people realize who cool we are for sharing plugins ;-)
> |
> | And anothers :
> |
> | 4) In Kimdaba, there is already an option for to export the images in an
> | HTML page. The kipi html export is redundant...
> |
> | 5) In ShowImg there is a Backup to CD option. The kipi CD archiving is
> | redundant...
> |
> | ==> The banners to the top of kipi dialogs is a way for to distinct
> | correctly the hosts based options and the kipi options ! My works for to
> | add a graphical banner (K3b inspired) is relevant from discutions with kipi
> | users by IM. Someone are very confuse to find 2 options who provide the
> | same features.
> |
> | Also, I think a banner adding a cool touch in the kipi dialogs (like k3b).
> | Or perhaps, i'm wrong and i have always bad ideas for the GUI construction
> As I said previous on, I back this change up.

let me give my arguments against the addition of the banner:

plugins are not standalone apps and are meant to be integrated well into
a app. the ideal goal, imho, would be for the end-user to never realize
that the provided functionality comes from a plugin. konqueror for example
embeds lots of parts, but we don't see the parts standing out in any way.

it is quite possible that the plugins might be buggy and the user reports
these bugs to the host app instead of kipi-plugins. i don't see this as a
big deal, as the app maintainer with a couple of clicks can reassign the
bugs.

i understand the importance of giving credit where its due in the case of
plugin authors, but for that the about data/dialog already does the same.

if the apps are including these plugins in addition to the existing
functionality and its causing confusion for the user, then it is an app
specific problem. the functionality of disabling/ignoring plugins is
already available.

having said that, kipi-development is a democracy and in the democracy the
majority wins :). so i will go with what the majority decides.

renchi

PS: it might not be such a bad idea to run it by the usability/quality
team to see what they think.