[Kde-imaging] kdeextragear-libs-1/kipi-plugins [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Sun May 2 19:38:35 CEST 2004

On Sunday 02 May 2004 19:20, Aurelien Gateau wrote:
| One question:
| Are we creating KIPI as a pool of code that we would share between our
| programs or do we want to create a system which is open to others so that
| people can write and maintain their own plugins without integrating them in
| kipi-plugins?
Hmmm both I'd say.
I think it makes sense to have a lot of plugins in kipi-plugins, so users do
not have to go around the net downloading each individual plugin.
Still if people want to develop a plugin outside kipi-plugins that should be
possible - at some point we should release a libkipi-1.0 which should be
fairly stable, and which developers can develop pugins for.

| If you believe it's just for us, then I have no problem with the host apps
| handling disabling some plugins for whatever reason.
| But if you believe we want to build an open system, then there should not
| be any code specific to one particular plugin inside the host apps,
| otherwise we will end up with an unmanageable pile of junk.
What we are developing here is pretty unique, so there will always be some
edges.

We have two possibilities:
1) We can ensure that kipi only contains a subset of features that any host
app can accept, and as the number of host apps grows, this number will
approach zero.

2) We can give the plugins/host apps the possibility to say I dont like that
plugin or I dont like that host app.
The comments editor was one, slides shows, and html generation are other
possibilities.
Lets be realistic we are not seeing thousands of plugsins, and I think you
have to distinguish between plugins that the user downloads himself and
plugins which are in kipi-plugins.

Plugins the user downloads himself from the net can host apps not do anything
about - how should it know about these - on the other hand. If the user
downloads them, then he knows explicit about it.

| Aurélien, currently wondering if KIPI is such a good thing after all
Why is that?

Let me put it this way - I'd be very very very unhappy about having duplicate
features from plugins, which would just make my app harder to use, so I
really need the possibility to deny certain plugins.
If you dont feel like this about your app, feel free to pass an empty list to
the loader.