[Kde-imaging] ImageCollection or Browser

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 23 14:42:29 CEST 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 June 2004 14:09, Renchi Raju wrote:

> | > Why ? It's work fine and it's not confuse for the users. Also this way
> | > is very suitable for Gwenview and Kimdaba.
> |
> | i don't how its more suitable for gwenview and kimdaba; but if i, as a
> | user, chooses to run this action will expect it act only on the selected
> | items and bail out if there are not images selected. an analogy to this
> | would be the delete items action available in most apps. if the user
> | clicks on it, he/she expects it act only on the selected items, not all
> | the items in the view. there might be plugins with non-reversible actions
> | and they should act on only those items which have been specifically
> | chosen by the user (using selection). one might say that for such actions
> | the plugin should require further interaction from the user; but then you
> | are putting the responsibility on the plugin author. another
> | possibility is that app disables such actions when there is no
> | selection; but then again we are shifting the responsibility to the app.
> | its our job to get the interface correct.
> |
> | maybe i'm not explaining this in the best possible manner. i would
> | recommend that you ask a few users as to what they expect in such a
> | scenario.
> As Gilles explained, this is a special case due to no feed back. Maybe the
> correct solution to this problem would be to add a message box with a
> warning, and a do-not-show-again flag.

its seems very unnatural for me for a rotation plugin (just an example) to
even think of (:)) acting on all items if there is no selection. possible
scenario:
* User selects few items
* User clicks on rotate image action
* Dialog pops up asking if he wants to rotate the images
* User says yes to the "do not bug me" option
* Now user doesn't select any items
* User clicks on rotate image action thinking that he has some images
selected
* Voila, all his/her images are now rotated.
* User is very pissed.

golden rule for gui development: "User is stupi^H^H unpredictable".

so specifically, i disagree with the concept of currentScope() and i think
it should be removed and currentAlbum(), currentSelection() should be
retained. additionally some plugins (like slideshow) might want to ask the
user if they want to slideshow all images or selected images. with
currentScope you can't do that.

renchi