[Kde-imaging] New category 'COLLECTIONSPLUGIN' ?

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Wed Jun 16 10:14:34 CEST 2004

Le mercredi 16 Juin 2004 09:13, Gilles Caulier a écrit :

Hum... I know how it's organized right now. My point was to suggest another,
more logical to me, organization.

Why should acquireimage goes into "Tools" and rawconverter into "Batch" and
"Tools"? Don't they fulfill the definition of "Import" plugins? What should
the "Import" plugins do?

Why is mpegencoder in "Batch"? Does it modify the images? No, but it produce
other data, so it should go into "Export".

Why are timeadjust and jpeglossless in "Images"? to me losslessly rotating a
collection of images is an operation which should go in the same category
that resizing a collection of images.

> The 'collection' category is dedicaced for the tasks based only on 'Albums'
> works (diroperations for example). This concept have a sence for Digikam.
> For another hosts, it's easy to merge the plugins at your conveignence.

Hum. diroperations is just a file browser launcher. It will work with any dir
based host app. No real need for Albums so I would put it in "Tools". Thanks
to the KIPI feature system, it would only appear in the host app if the host
app is dir based.

> The 'batch' category is dedicaced for the plugins who works on a group of
> images at the same time...
I would replace "work" with "manipulate". Because if you go this way, you can
put the slideshow plugin in the "Batch" category too. That's the goal of my
suggestion:

* Import
Plugins which get images from an external source and give them to the host
app.

* Export
Plugins which take a collection of images provided by the host app and produce
something else.

* Batch processing
Plugins which manipulate a collection of images provided by the host app.

* Tools
Plugins which work with a collection of images provided by the host app, but
do not modify the image and do not produce anything.

> I will try to make a plugins categories table in according with the host
> type. With this, we can choise to change/merge the plugins categories if
> necessary...

Sorry, I do not understand.