Fwd: Re: [Kde-imaging] kdeextragear-libs-1/kipi-plugins

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 15 01:01:09 CEST 2004

> Subject: Re: [Kde-imaging] kdeextragear-libs-1/kipi-plugins
> Date: Monday 14 June 2004 22:09
> From: Caulier Gilles <caulier.gilles at free.fr>
> To: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>

> > | Excelent ! A can will use imlib2 API for thumbnails creation in
> > | SendImages, CdArchiving, and ImageGallery plugins.
> >
> > Whats wrong with using KIO::filePreview?
>
> Sorry, not for thumnails creation but for images resizing operations (like
> during the HTML pages creation)
>
> IMLIB2 is very fast (SIMD processor instructions optimized). KIO::filePreview
> is very slow and must be used for the GUI. Do you have tested to backup your
> albums library with CDArchiving and the HTML preview page actived ? For me
> (7Gb of images - 86 Albums), this process during 3 hours !!!!
>
> Actually, CDArchiving use Qimage for all images resize operations. It's not
> optimized... I think with IMLIB2 we can improve that seriouly.

i'm not in favor of using imlib2 for this purpose, as the above mentioned
task tends to be rather time-consuming and blocks the ui while its doing
so and hence should be moved to a separate thread. but imlib2 is not
thread-safe and if one is using imlib2 in the main gui thread, then you
will run into trouble. and i know of at least one app (digikam :)) which
does this. unless in case we decide to write a kioslave to do this job,
which is ok, as the kioslave runs as a separate process.

to answer jesper's question "if imlib2 is a requirement for kde": no,
imlib1 is a requirement for kuickshow. kuickshow hasn't been ported
to imlib2 yet.

renchi