Fwd: Re: [Kde-imaging] kdeextragear-libs-1/kipi-plugins

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Mon Jun 14 22:23:22 CEST 2004

Seems like Caulier forgot to send this to the list too

Subject: Re: [Kde-imaging] kdeextragear-libs-1/kipi-plugins
Date: Monday 14 June 2004 22:09
From: Caulier Gilles <caulier.gilles at free.fr>
To: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>

Le lundi 14 Juin 2004 21:40, vous avez écrit :
> On Monday 14 June 2004 21:32, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> | Le lundi 14 Juin 2004 18:26, Renchi Raju a écrit :
> | > CVS commit by pahlibar:
> | >

> | > CCMAIL: kde-imaging at kde.org
> | > ported the slideshow plugin to use imlib2. (requesting testing).
> | > added include mocs
> |
> | Excelent ! A can will use imlib2 API for thumbnails creation in
> | SendImages, CdArchiving, and ImageGallery plugins.
>
> Whats wrong with using KIO::filePreview?

Sorry, not for thumnails creation but for images resizing operations (like
during the HTML pages creation)

IMLIB2 is very fast (SIMD processor instructions optimized). KIO::filePreview
is very slow and must be used for the GUI. Do you have tested to backup your
albums library with CDArchiving and the HTML preview page actived ? For me
(7Gb of images - 86 Albums), this process during 3 hours !!!!

Actually, CDArchiving use Qimage for all images resize operations. It's not
optimized... I think with IMLIB2 we can improve that seriouly.

> | It's could be nice if a 'common' folder with the common fonctions used by
> | the plugins will be created like :
> |
> | - thumnails creation.
>
> For this we now use KIO::filePreview, I cant see how it can become much
> easier.
>
> | - delete folder recursivly.
>
> That doesn't sound like something many plugins would require, if any.
>
> | - etc...
> |
> | Your viewpoints ?
>
> Sharing functionality between plugins is something I'm behind in general,
> though your examples doesn't seem that convincing.

Regards

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.