[Kde-imaging] Re: Some comments on plugins and a feature request

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 20 05:25:50 CEST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Rafael Beccar wrote:

> Secondly and just to add a user point of view:
> As I don't know too much about image editing, I'm not aware of the differences
> between jpeg lossless operations and pixel based operations.Then, the only
> parameter I have to compare jpeg lossless plugins and batch plugins is the
> following:
>
> - The Batch plugins give me a rich dialog window to work with, and the jpeg
> lossless plugins don't do it.
>
> So, I think it would be great if the jpeg lossless plugins had the same nice
> dialog windows as the batch plugins have.

jpeg by default is a lossy format, i.e. everytime you open a jpeg file and
save it back you end up losing some quality. jpeglossless operations work
by not fully opening the jpeg file, but by modifying a few parameters in
the jpeg file (not entirely true, but this explanation will suffice).

now coming to your suggestion: it doesn't make sense to have dialogs for
jpeg lossless operations - rotation, black-white conversion, flipping; as
it should be quite obvious to user whats going to happen to the image, no
need for a preview or stuff like that. these operations are meant to be
quick access operations (very frequently used by digital camera owners)
and having a dialog will slow things down for them.

renchi