[Kde-imaging] Re: Some comments on plugins and a feature request

Rafael Beccar rafabeccar at speedy.com.ar
Tue Jul 20 04:45:55 CEST 2004

On Sunday 18 July 2004 17:43, Renchi Raju wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
>> | I am playing with all the plugins to see how they work, and I just have
>> | some comments:
>> |
>> | 1) There are two plugins that do the same job:
>> |
>> | - "Convert to Blank and White" plugin; and
>> | - Tools -> Batch -> Color Images -> Grey scales
>> |
>> | I think the second one is a lot better than the first one. Since it give
>> | us the change to chose a lot of things like overwrite mode, target
>> | directory, previewing, seeing the image file list ...
>> |
>> | I think that having duplicated features is uncomfortable for the user.
>> | So, I think it would better if "Convert to Blank and White" plugin were
>> | disabled by default.
>>
>> What is the reason for having the "Convert to Blank and White" plugin?
>> Could it be removed?
>
>the "convert to black and white" is a lossless jpeg operation (which also
>does conversion of other image formats - these in a non-lossless
>mode). the tools -> batch -> ... operation is a regular non-lossless
>operation (pixel based operation).
>
>> | 2) Right now there are three "rotate" functions in Kimdaba:
>> |
>> | - The old one in the configure image dialog (and the best one for me),
>> | - The Rotate plugin, and
>> | - The EXIF Rotate/Flip adjusment plugin
>> |
>> | I am a little confused by the last one. What does it exactly do?
>>
>> Yes, what does the last one do?
>
>i'm guessing the first one is from kimdaba.
>the second one is jpeg lossless rotation - user specifies the angle
>(90,180,270) and the image is rotated by that angle
>the third one is a special case of jpeg lossless rotation - it looks at
>the exif information in the image and automatically rotates/flips the
>image (without user intervention) according to the exif orientation. It
>also resets the exif orientation to that of a normal orientation on
>completion.
>
>now, the explanations are out of the way, i admit there's a bit of
>confusion as to whats expected to happen in the Case 1) and user might
>think there are redundant operations. two options:
>
>a) rename all the jpeg lossless operations as "Lossless rotation / flip/
>convert to bw" as such and strip of all non-jpeg operation from this
>plugin.
>
>or
>
>b) retain the current operations on non-jpeg files in jpeg lossless plugin
>and strip of redundant operations from the batch plugin.

Hi KIPI developers,

First of all: I like KIPI a lot. It's a great idea and a great work.

Secondly and just to add a user point of view:
As I don't know too much about image editing, I'm not aware of the differences
between jpeg lossless operations and pixel based operations.Then, the only
parameter I have to compare jpeg lossless plugins and batch plugins is the
following:

- The Batch plugins give me a rich dialog window to work with, and the jpeg
lossless plugins don't do it.

So, I think it would be great if the jpeg lossless plugins had the same nice
dialog windows as the batch plugins have.

Best Regards,
Rafael