[kde-i18n-ro] Forma plural

Eddy Petrişor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 14:21:58 CEST 2005

On 8/25/05, Bruno Haible <bruno at clisp.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Eddy Petrişor wrote:
> > I would like to report that the correct form for the plurals for
> > Romanian is the following one:
> >
> > nplurals=3;plural=(n==1?0:(((n%100>19)||((n%100==0)&&(n!=0)))?2:1))
> >
> > Please change this in the gettext code base.
>
> Thanks for the report. But how come the literature about Romanian
> grammar [1] [2] doesn't mention this? Also, since the formula is a bit

Well the difference is really slim between the two plural forms, and
most of us didn't realised this until I pointed it out on our MLs.

We are currently in the stage of confirming the exact form with a
grammar manual or at the Romanian Academy. (Romanians any contacts are
welcome).

> complicated, could you please confirm it by writing the translation of
> "<n> errors" (or it can be any other noun):
>
> 0 errors    = ?

0 erori

> 1 error     = ?

1 eroare

> 2 errors    = ?

2 erori

> 19 errors   = ?

19 erori

> 20 errors   = ?

20 de erori
25 de erori
> 99 errors   = ?

99 de erori

> 100 errors  = ?

100 de erori

> 101 errors  = ?

101 erori

> 102 errors  = ?

102 erori

> 119 errors  = ?

119 erori

> 120 errors  = ?

120 de erori

500 de erori

501 erori
519 erori
520 de erori

As you can see the diffrence between the two forms is rather slim;
there is only the preposition "de".

I suggest you keep this on hold until we have a  confirmation in a
manual or some official documentation/source.

We all agreed upon this issue and we were all amazed about the fact
that we didn't realized this diffrence until now. Is really funny how
we do things automatically sometimes.

--
Regards,
EddyP