[Kde-i18n-fa] How to print farsi documents

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Thu Sep 16 23:20:51 CEST 2004

On Thursday 16 September 2004 19:43, Medi Montaseri wrote:
> Thanks Arash jan....
>
> Looks like gedit(1) was the problem, I tried kedit(1) but when I
> attempted to switch my keyboard
> via "Alt-Shift", kedit(1) seg-faulted.=20

=46rom KDE 3.2, Alt-Shift isn't working properly, not at-least for me.

> I then moved to kwrite(1)=20
> which works but I get the following
> error constantly for every key stroke
>
> ASSERT: "width" in katerenderer.cpp (675)
> ASSERT: "width" in katerenderer.cpp (675)
> ASSERT: "width" in katerenderer.cpp (675)
> ASSERT: "width" in katerenderer.cpp (675)
> ASSERT: "width" in katerenderer.cpp (675)
> ASSERT: "width" in katerenderer.cpp (675)
>
> I did manage to print using kwrite(1).
>
> Any ideas on why I'm getting this assertion ?
>
> Thanks guys....I've been waiting for this revelution (Farsi on Linux)
> for years....

umm, it has been available now, for a couple of years, albeit with its=20
own problems.
> PS: how do I write an HTML file, could I just use kwrite, provide the
> HTML tags in English
> and put my content by switching to Farsi and then end-tags in
> English...
Yes, generally that's what you should do. Also in the <head> of your=20
html file, specify encoding as UTF-8, and also using whatever editor,=20
make sure that when you are saving your document, the editor saves its=20
contents using utf-8 encoding.

It is ofcourse easier said than done. In practice, mixing english and=20
farsi text will cause you so many peculiar and weird problems, that you=20
rarely get the formatting that you like. I have produced a couple of=20
persian html pages, and it takes me trice the amount of time to produce=20
a persian html page, relative to a comparable english document.=20