[Kde-i18n-fa] name conventions

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Sun May 30 21:01:37 CEST 2004

On Sunday 30 May 2004 07:48, Platoali wrote:
> Hi
> I've two questions about translations of the names.
>
> 1. I've asked this one before. but  I will ask it again because of
> making sure. there are many inconsistency regarding names.What
> should we translate the names like clonebombers, tetris and tux
> racer? Should we translate theme to their meaning in Farsi, or
> translate them to Farsi alphabet and with their English
> pronunciation with some alterations, for example America and
> آمریکا and ogel? Or don't do anything with them? I think none of
> these approaches work 100% in all situations.

> 2. Some names like gedit, xedit, nedit and many more are translated
> to tree different forms. some of them are not translated at all.
> for example kedit and kmail. some of them are translated partially
> to Farsi like Xeditor  to the ویرایش‌گرx  (virayeshgar X)  and grip
> to (pareh_konandeh_yeh  G!!!) and some of them are translated
> completely to Farsi. Which one is correct?

We really should get some convention here.
I think no approach will work. Writing english names with farsi
alphabet isn't the best practice, it is sometimes unreadable. I
personlay don't like it.

I think if the application's name is translatable then we should
translate it. I reckon  these two words that you mentioned, xedit and
grip are my translations, and I like them. I don't think we can come
to an agreement here, possibly we should just be a little imaginative
and creative.

That said, I am using the french KDE right now, and I tell you, they
haven't translated any names. I know that some of these English names
are unreadable for a French reader, but still, the french team has
decided not to translate names at all. Maybe Arash or someone who has
use KDE in another language, can tell us what is the practice there.
I think we should really go and see what other languages have done.