[Kde-i18n-fa] Re: [Sysadmin] KDE Translators Center : FARSI vs. PERSIAN

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Fri Jan 9 18:29:42 CET 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 01:38, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Tue January 06 2004 22:47, Arash Zeini wrote:
> > Please note that the list given as ISO 639 is no authority with
> > regard to languages in general.
>
> It is authoritative when it comes to language codes.
>
> > All major English dictionaries have an entry for
> > Farsi as the modern name of Iran's official language in English,
> > which makes it correct to use it.
>
> Webster lists Persian, not Farsi.
> http://www.m-w.com/mw/table/indoeuro.htm
> and
> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=persian+
> "the modern language of Iran and western Afghanistan"
>
> Likewise, the CIA world fact book mentions "Persian" and not "Farsi".
> http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ir.html
>
> Also http://www.iranembassy-sa.org.za/English/Language.htm states
> "The official language of Iran is Persian (the Persian term for which
> is Farsi)."
>
> And http://www.iranemb.warsaw.pl/languages.htm
> "Persian (Farsi) is a member of the Indo-Iranian sub-family of the
> Indo-European languages, and the official language of the government
> and public instruction and is the mother tongue on more than half of
> the population."
> and
> "Persian (locally called Farsi) is the most important of a group of
> several related languages that linguists classify as Indo-Iranian."
>
> So I think the correct english (US) name for "fa" is "Persian".
>
> Anyway, I understand that this is all part of some political game so
> maybe we can find a compromise in calling it "Persian (Farsi)".
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

Waldo, if you really find time to take side in every little discussion
topic which happens in KDE-i18n mailing lists, then I wonder how you
manage to find time for your other activitis.

I really find it interesting that a major KDE developer has taken side,
on an issue which we Iranians (or shall I call persians?) debate among
ourselves, while clearly we know about our own language more than
anybody else.

It is called FarsiKDE, because the members of this group all think the
correct name of this language, in English, is Farsi. It is our own
project for god's sake, and I really don't know why we can't call it
what we like.

Unlike Pejman, when I first found farsikde.org I didn't think "why they
are calling it Farsi instead of Persian". I thought, oh, what a cool
thing, our language is also present in KDE. I got so excited that I
joined the team. And I am getting sick of all these people who come on
our mailing list, or in other places, and instead of thinking about the
real issues, complain about why we use the term "Farsi".

Grow up, the name of our country has (rightfuly) changed. While I
disagree with Arash Zeini in that I myself also am not proud of the
influence that Arabs have had on our language, and also I don't think
of myself as anti-monarchy, still I get on with the facts that our
country is now called Iran (and not Persia) and our language name
should also therefore change, to accomodate this change in our
country's name.

About standards, it should be noted that ISO-639 recognizes the name of
this language as both, Persian, and Farsi. While the Unicode standard
only calls this language "Farsi" and there is no mention of the word
"Persian" there.
http://www.unicode.org/onlinedat/languages.html

And now that I am writing this from the library, I took the opportunity
and looked at most of the major dictionaroes I could get my hands on.
Webster, Oxford, The BBC English Dictionary, and all others that I
checked, list the word "Farsi" in their dictionaries.

I even looked at an Oxford dictionary published in 1968, and it also
lists the word Farsi, and calls it "The modern language of Iran, and
parts of Afghanestan". So even those that think that the word Farsi
found it's way in to the English language around 1979 are wrong, I have
a version of oxford here published in 68, which has the word Farsi in
it.

And there are much more important issues in the world, and much more
interesting problems are there to be solved, that I just don't think
it's worth wasting so much time on "Farsi Vs. Perian".

Cheers

--
/*  Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, etc are all loans from the public
domain. They are not a property ('intellectual' or otherwise.) */