[Kde-i18n-fa] FarsiKDE

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Fri May 23 13:04:21 CEST 2003

On Friday 23 May 2003 08:23, Payam bahraini wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Does it mean that i can't use rpm for RedHat 8 in RedHat 7.2 ? Aren't
> they backward compatible?
>
> I saw rpm's for RedHat 8 but i couldn't choose which to download.

Hossein' answer was correct, I am going to add a few things to it.

You can't use RedHat 8 RPMs on anything other than RedHat 8. This is not
only about RedHat, it is true of all the binaries on all GNU/Linux
distributions. Many things change, the libraries change, the Compiler
ABI change, and so binary compatibility is not possible. Actually IMHO
binary compatibility is not important, since in GNU/Linux, you have the
source (Unlike that other OS).

> So there is no easy way other than buying RedHat 8.x. Am i right?

Actually beleive me, I once went in the process of updating KDE using
RPM, and I would never call that process, "easy". Compiling KDE is far
easier. If you have a low speed connection, it is far better to use
CVS, this way, you can download the whole KDE source in really no time
at all (compared to binaries). So if you want to keep your 7.2, then
this is the way to go. Actually, AFAI remember, RH 7.2 used gcc 2.9x
and compiling KDE with that would be pretty easy.

That said, you have lots of other options too. If you only want RedHat,
then I suggest you get RH 9 instead of 8. And you can download it (with
a high speed connection) for free. But, if you like KDE, let me warn
your that in RedHat 8 and 9, RedHat has changed KDE so much that it is
not KDE anymore. So, you also have the option of using other distros,
Mandrake 9.1, SuSE 8.2 , Debian Sid , Slackware 9 etc. And all of these
are free.

Cheers
--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their