[Kde-i18n-fa] FarsiKDE

Hossein S. Zadeh hossein.zadeh at rmit.edu.au
Fri May 23 17:03:37 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 15:23, Payam bahraini wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Does it mean that i can't use rpm for RedHat 8 in RedHat 7.2 ? Aren't
> they backward compatible?
>
> I saw rpm's for RedHat 8 but i couldn't choose which to download.

That is correct: you (generally) cannot.

As part of compiling a program, it is linked to a set of libraries
installed on the system. These libraries form part of the infrastructure
the program relies on to run.

That said, I have almost always had success downloading a source rpm
(*.src.rpm) and compiling it on a different version of the operating
system.

Unfortunately, KDE and GNOME depend on so many different libraries that
it is almost impossible to compile them from source rpm of a different
version of the OS (you know, this requires that, which requires another
one, and so on and so forth).

In fact compiling KDE (and GNOME) from source packages is very difficult
as the said requirement becomes a vicious cycle.

If you want to re-create the RPMs (or debs or whatever), at some point
you have to compile and install something "without" using the package
management system of your OS. This is known as "bootstrapping" the
compile process. A bit like when you turn your computer on: the CPU
needs to run a program, but there is nothing in RAM...

Hossein