[Kde-i18n-fa] what to do,

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Mon May 19 19:37:54 CEST 2003

On Monday 19 May 2003 15:26, Abbas Izad wrote:

> >So, what  can I do now, check the previous
> >translations or do translation,
> >as I checked kde statistics we are behind of some
> >countries that I don't like that,
>
> I also visited the statistics before I started with my first
> package and felt that we are behind others but based on our
> coordinators we are not.

I explained this in my reply to Kaveh, but let me explain this a bit
more.

Languages such as German, Spanish, and French started their work, way
back, I guess in 1996 before even KDE 1.0 was released. This is not
extraordinary because most of KDE developers at that time were German
and in general european (and maybe still this is true to some degree).
At the time of KDE 1.0, KDE wasn't this powerfull feature-rich
environment that we now have (you remember those days Abbas ?)
Translating it wasn't that much a big job, it was only a couple
thousand messages.

KDE evolved gradually. And the translators of these languages also
updated their work. It is not that difficult to keep with changes, the
difficult part is to start, and translate new packages (the situation
which we are currently in). So these days, entering a new language in
KDE is not that easy. Because KDE has become so big, and just to start
with it, you need to translate lots of strings. This is why, entering a
new language these days is a Herculean task. Because a new language
means translating tens of thousand of strings, just to start. And as
you noted, the first translations are the most difficult ones. After
you have translated a good deal, then it is more 'cut & paste' than
translation.

furthermore European languages didn't have many of our problems, they
didn't have the problem with fonts, they didn't have the problem with
right to left writing (which is still sometimes painfull in KBabel).
They didn't have to wait for Unicode to take off. We faced many of
these challenges. It is not fair to compare our work with the work of
those translators.

European translators, started their work in 1996, what you now see in
their statistics, is the work of nearly 7 years of continuous
development. We on the other hand, couldn't start the translation
process until KDE 3.0 was released, which was May 2002. We started the
job a few months after that, and considering the time that we have
worked on this thing, we have reached a good milestone. We should be
proud of ourselves guys, we have done something important. When I look
now, I see that countries with more population than Iran, like
Pakistan, still have not even developed a XFree86 keyboard layout.
There are considerably more Arabs that Iranians, and their computing
community is much more active than ours, and still, our work is
compareable to them.

And last but not least, we should take into account that european
translators have powerfull sponsors, the German government and SuSE are
active members of the KDE, and they also participate in the translation
process (in different ways). Mandrake makes sure that all of Gnome and
KDE is translated to French. We OTOH have neither government nor
corporate backing. And yet, we are producing the first Farsi computing
environment after years. The last Farsi computing environments were DOS
(which was translated by the force of a government agency which I do
not remember it's name) and Windows 3.1 which was translated by
Microsoft.

We are setting standards in many regards. This is no easy task that we
are doing. I hope one day, we get the recognition that we deserve.
Currently of course, that day doesn't seem to be near.

Cheers
--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their