[Kde-i18n-fa] Looking good

Arash Zeini a.zeini at farsikde.org
Wed May 14 16:02:41 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 14:42, Abbas Izad wrote:

[...]
> words with AND-sign (&) usually are visible!
> By the way, how does this work in farsiKDE? will you be able to
> use keyboard to pick these menus, as they are assigned to do?

Yes.

> One another method that I personally use is that I open that program
> during translation and find/check how and in which context that word/text
> has been used.

This is very important.

> >But you see, it's not just menus. Let me show you an example, you say
> >that for example in translating tips and other not-that-visable strings
> >we should allow personal tastes. OK, but for example we had an
> >inconsistency when a the tip said "lotfan be morede komak ra entekhab
> >konid" and the problem was that there was no item called 'komak' !!! it
> >was translated as 'rahnama' instead. This means consistency you see,
> >even now, in KDE 3.1 I can see many instances of such inconsistencies.
> >We should try to avoid them
>
> You may have a point here!

He caertainly has. We have been through this.

> Is there a dead-line for the project? how much time do we have if we are
> going
> to go through the all translated messages? we are maybe about to set an
> standard
> for farsi within free software and if the first look does not appeal to
> people, you know
> what happens. Less than perfect is not good enough!

I agree. We have to maintain quality and useability. But peopl's understanding
of quality can be very different. We have to agree on some points.
I agree personally with your view of using pure Farsi. But this is only
possible in some cases. You see, we have Computers and IT related literature
in Iran that use certain words and terminilogy, we can not deviate too much
from that "standard".

There is not a "fianl" deadline as such. But the current deadline would be KDE
3.2 in general and KOffice 1.3 in particular.
Eventhough we seem to have some time till the release dates, I think we need
to work and can not delay.

> >Yes that's cool, go on, as Arash Z said.
>
> As I understand, you are working on kate, zoup has recently finished
> koffice, correct?
> I have sent kchart to Arash last night and if nobody else currntly working
> on new packages then I will try to send one package
> every night until all messages are translated. That would save some time
> for you
> to brush and polish them for release.

This sounds good. Please continue the work on KOffice and I would say, using
this mailing list you should coordinate with Zoup and Ikomi; I think they
would like to join you.
There are only 1274 more messages to go anyhow.

So let's finish KOffice and then spend some time reviewing and editing the
translations: which would mean to do quality checks as well as consistency.

We need to do this anyhow as the scripts keep on giving us fuzzies on a daily
basis. I think koffice.po has already 121 fuzzies.

Greetings,
Arash
--
The FarsiKDE Project