[Kde-i18n-fa] Looking good

Abbas Izad abbasizad at hotmail.com
Wed May 14 11:12:26 CEST 2003

> > -- Regarding consistancy errors, if several people review different
> > files that itself might result in inconsistancy.
>
>We have enough time, so that we might even double review koffice, before
>it's final release. We will review it once, then the next beta will
>come, and then we will (hopefully) install it and use it, to see how
>our translation feels, and then we will remove the remainder bugs. I
>have a good feeling that KOffice will have a good translation. Remember
>we didn't have such a time, when we translated KDE 3.1

It feels better already!

> > -- consistancy check should only apply to menus (and visual texts
> > like labels, etc) and translation check to whole part (in particular
>comments, hints, etc... here we have to allow synonyms).
>
>We usually can not distinguish these in KBabel. Can we? In your
>extensive use of KBabel, have you found a way to do this?

words with AND-sign (&) usually are visible!
By the way, how does this work in farsiKDE? will you be able to
use keyboard to pick these menus, as they are assigned to do?

One another method that I personally use is that I open that program
during translation and find/check how and in which context that word/text
has been
used.

>But you see, it's not just menus. Let me show you an example, you say
>that for example in translating tips and other not-that-visable strings
>we should allow personal tastes. OK, but for example we had an
>inconsistency when a the tip said "lotfan be morede komak ra entekhab
>konid" and the problem was that there was no item called 'komak' !!! it
>was translated as 'rahnama' instead. This means consistency you see,
>even now, in KDE 3.1 I can see many instances of such inconsistencies.
>We should try to avoid them

You may have a point here!

> > -- there are some better (pure persian) words that has come up since
> > you started with kdelib, etc
> >      as an example is "barg" for "sheet" instead of "varagh" or
> > "safhe". We do a favor to our langauge if we use synonyms which
> > contain "pe", "tcheh", "ge" and "zheh".
> >      This is a easy way to ensure that a word is pure persian!
>
>I agree, but the problem is that changing an existing string, means that
>we should go trough all already translated strings, read all of them,
>and change them. It is really painfull. Still, I hope that as time
>passes, we reach that level of pur Farsi.

Is there a dead-line for the project? how much time do we have if we are
going
to go through the all translated messages? we are maybe about to set an
standard
for farsi within free software and if the first look does not appeal to
people, you know
what happens. Less than perfect is not good enough!

>Yes that's cool, go on, as Arash Z said.

As I understand, you are working on kate, zoup has recently finished
koffice, correct?
I have sent kchart to Arash last night and if nobody else currntly working
on new packages then I will try to send one package
every night until all messages are translated. That would save some time for
you
to brush and polish them for release.

/Abbas