[Kde-i18n-fa] Looking good

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Wed May 14 12:13:45 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 16:57, Abbas Izad wrote:
> > > would you please explain to me how reviewing accomplishes?
> > > everybody reviewing/checking other's translations or someone take
> > > care of the whole job? I am just curious! My idea was to split the
> > > files. Each person reviewing one translation file.
>
> I would like to point out some views that might come handy:
> -- One who is going to review Kspread should be familiar with
> mathematic and statistic. I have studied both in university but in
> english and swedish languages.

Good, but I am not sure I am the man to do this. So who's math and
statistics is good, to review kspread?

>      It is important to use the correct farsi terms (if there are
> any) to avoid confusion.

yes, I am sure there are, many of them might be similar to the Latin
equivalents but still...

> -- Regarding consistancy errors, if several people review different
> files that itself might result in inconsistancy.

We have enough time, so that we might even double review koffice, before
it's final release. We will review it once, then the next beta will
come, and then we will (hopefully) install it and use it, to see how
our translation feels, and then we will remove the remainder bugs. I
have a good feeling that KOffice will have a good translation. Remember
we didn't have such a time, when we translated KDE 3.1

> -- consistancy check should only apply to menus (and visual texts
> like labels, etc) and translation check to whole part (in particular
comments, hints, etc... here we have to allow synonyms).

We usually can not distinguish these in KBabel. Can we? In your
extensive use of KBabel, have you found a way to do this?

But you see, it's not just menus. Let me show you an example, you say
that for example in translating tips and other not-that-visable strings
we should allow personal tastes. OK, but for example we had an
inconsistency when a the tip said "lotfan be morede komak ra entekhab
konid" and the problem was that there was no item called 'komak' !!! it
was translated as 'rahnama' instead. This means consistency you see,
even now, in KDE 3.1 I can see many instances of such inconsistencies.
We should try to avoid them

> -- there are some better (pure persian) words that has come up since
> you started with kdelib, etc
>      as an example is "barg" for "sheet" instead of "varagh" or
> "safhe". We do a favor to our langauge if we use synonyms which
> contain "pe", "tcheh", "ge" and "zheh".
>      This is a easy way to ensure that a word is pure persian!

I agree, but the problem is that changing an existing string, means that
we should go trough all already translated strings, read all of them,
and change them. It is really painfull. Still, I hope that as time
passes, we reach that level of pur Farsi.

> these are only my thoughts and intentions to help the project nothing
> else! you can use them or loose them!

It's free software dude. The project is not mine, is not Arash's or any
body else. It is as much mine, as it is yours. From your sentence, I
get the feeling that you view us as insiders, and view your self as
outsider. That's not the case man. Your opinions are extremly
important, as you are an important member of the project.

> > > I am still in a good mode to go on with more files and if it is
> > > OK with you I will go ahead with translating task.
> > > by the way, the remaining 2000 messages has a lot of "copy
> > > msgstr" and cut & paste and very few new translations. :-)

Yes that's cool, go on, as Arash Z said.

> >That's fine. I won't stop you :) Maybe Aryan, Zoup and me can
> > already do some
> >reviewing, while you go ahead with the translations.
> >I am actually reviewing the whole time. I would request two people
> > to review koffice and kspread.

Arash, Can I review translation of KWord, after I finish kate? (which
has taken me more than it should have).

--
/* The best part about banging your
head against a wall is when you stop.