[Kde-i18n-fa] farsi in RedHat 9

Aryan Ameri a.ameri at linuxiran.org
Sat May 10 04:30:28 CEST 2003

On Sunday 04 May 2003 09:28, Hossein S. Zadeh wrote:
> On Sunday 04 May 2003 15:46, Hossein S. Zadeh wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 May 2003, Hamid wrote:
> > > As I said, I am in the middle of a fun! process called "THESIS
> > > WRITING" , and since I can not share my documents in KWord or
> > > OpenOffice format with my advisor (and also school's library) I
> > > am bound to select M$ Wingooz :-) when I fire up my machine !
> > >
> > > Looking forward to the end of the May ;-)
> >
> > Hi there,
> > Speaking of thesis writing, I remember sometime ago (some years
> > ago) there was a package called FarsiTeX, or something similar.
> > IIRC, it was being developed/maintained by a group of people in
> > Computer Science at Sharif Univ.
> >
> > If it is still available, I think translating LyX (or kLyX) should
> > get higher priority than KWord; as LaTeX is a universal typesetting
> > package of choice.
>
> Hi there,
> I am replying to my own..... oh, well.......
>
> I just came across "kile" the KDE frontend to LaTeX. I got it using
> apt-get through KDE-test (unstable) channel, so it is being actively
> developed. Looks pretty impressive. Hard to admit, but looks even
> better than my trusty emacs/vi :-(
>
> I wonder how many people use LaTeX in Iran? At least in academia?
> Kile could be the killer application to get LaTeX off-the-ground in
> Iran, so-to-speak, if it itsn't already.

Hossein, I have also recently discovered the power of LaTeX and I also
discovered kile. IMHO it is the best word processing program ever. As
you know it is WYSIWYM (What You See Is What You Mean) which is a cool
concept.

But unfortunately AFAIK LaTeX and it's GUI frontends are not wide spread
at all among the Iranian GNU/Linux community.

Translating kile is indeed a very nice idea, one that I personaly will
welcome. But the problem is that the FarsiKDE team is currently
focusing on official KDE applications, and kile isn't an official one,
while KWord is. So for the time being, I think it is better to stick to
KOffice, but working and translating kile is also certainly a good
option for the future.

Cheers
--
/* The best part about banging your