[Kde-i18n-fa] Instructions

Aryan Ameri kde-i18n-fa@mail.kde.org
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:50:12 +0200

On Friday 28 March 2003 19:10, Ali Bahar wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 04:52:24PM +0200, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > On Friday 28 March 2003 00:32, Ali Bahar wrote:
> > > A typical printer comes with fonts pre-loaded.
> >
> > I don't know how printings work, but I don't think that one shall install
> > fonts in the printing system. Atleast, that's the impression I get, after
>
> To illustrate, ghostscript comes with its own fonts. Else it would not,
> to my knowledge/recollection, know how to draw them.
>
> A postscript file does not carry any font descriptions, only font
> names. So someone (the postscript printer, or the preview utility) has
> to have the font descriptions. I suppose the previewer could get them
> from the system, but I seem to recall ghostscript having its own
> fonts.

OK, so imagine that appropriate fonts shall be installed for printing, and I
agree, gv comes with it's own fonts; but so does KDE. KDE comes with it's own
set of fonts. Now if you install a font in KDE (as we have done about Arail
Unicode MS), then that font will be part of KDE. and if KDE applications are
able to use the installed font, then they shall also be able to use the same
font for printing, right?

To again prove my point, this time I wrote a farsi document in KOffice, not
with Arial Unicode, but with Clearlyu, which is a standard font that (if i am
not mistaking) comes with X, and also supports farsi. Now, clearlyu, is a
standard font on many GNU/Linux distros, and therefore, when you get your
distro with this font, it should already be configured for printing (assuming
such configuration/installation is needed)

Even wrting in farsi with clearlyu, gave me the same result. English
characters are printed, whereas farsi ones aren't.

This I think shows that the problem is not font related.

Cheers
--

/* Those who do not understand Unix
 *are condemned to reinvent it, poorly */