[Kde-i18n-fa] Debian Required,

Aryan Ameri kde-i18n-fa@mail.kde.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:08:17 +0200

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 11:17, Arash Zeini wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2003 13:36, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> > The last debian stable release, which was woody, is pretty old now, for
> > example, it comes with KDE 2.2, and XFree 4.1. But you can easily upgrade
> > debian woody to debian sid ( the last version with KDE 3.1 ) with just
> > one command. However, it means that you should have a fast internet
> > access. Gentoo and Debian users, will benefit most, from a high speed
> > internet access. because, unlike RPM based systems, they don't have to
> > reinstall the system every couple months. The system just keeps updating
> > itself.

> I do not recommend using sid, because it is in steady development and you
> need to upgrade very many files all the time. Just update woody to newer
> packages, till sarge is stable enough and then you can upgrade to Sarge.
> If you don't belive me ask ArashB, he will be able to sing you a song about
> this :)

Well, people have diffrent ideas about these matters, and me and Arash can
never agree on many things !! So the question of woody/sarge/sid is often ask
in the debian mailing list, and most people say that:

If Woody is good for you, then stick to it. Either use woody, or do not use it
at all. because mixing packages from diffrent releases, or from non official
debian sources , will make your system break later on. For example you arash,
I know that you use XFree 4.2 and KDE 3.1 on woody, well, you might not have
problems right now, But the next time you want to upgrade your distro
completely (apt-get dist upgrade), you will have to remove most of these
things, and reinstall them ( and lose configurations), as usually they are
not compatible.

Sarge: It has to be the best release, but currently it's the worst. Like
woody, currently it's packages are too old (right now, it is not much
diffrent from woody), and because of the gcc 3.2 translation thing, it hasn't
been updated for months, and security fixes aren't applied to it currently (
as opposed to sid and woody). in short, avoid it.

Sid: The best in my opinion for desktop users. I don't know why people call it
unstable, because only stable but newer releases of packages find their way
into this release. It is more stable than SuSE/RedHat/Mandrake. And BTW,
suppose that sid crashes once a month. So what? On the other hand, you get
Linux 2.4.20, with ACPI support (Your Dell laptop will really miss this
Arash), KDE 3.1, Gnome 2.2, and ......I say, it's worth it.

just my 0.02

Cheers

--

/* Those who do not understand Unix
 *are condemned to reinvent it, poorly */