[Kde-i18n-fa] pot files

Aryan Ameri kde-i18n-fa@mail.kde.org
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 13:00:24 +0200

On Friday 21 March 2003 21:46, Arash Zeini wrote:

> ALL TRANSLATORS SHOULD READ THIS.

> Once you have done this, spend some time and have a look at the other
> translations to get a feeling how they are translated.
> Thereafters, open KBabel - Dictionary and go to the "Database" tab. There
> go to "Scan Directory & Subdirectories..." and in the dialogue window that
> opens choose the directory where you just downloded the .po files.
> According to the above instructions, it should be something like this:
>
> /home/YourUserName/KDE/kde-i18n/fa/messages/
>
> This will build a database with all the previous translations. On the left
> hand side you have a search field, where you can search for a word. It will
> find the word and the translation and the file it is in. This way you can
> make sure that you use the same translations as the rest. This is very
> important.
>
> It is important to spend some time to find the right word and get a feeling
> for the translation rather than just translating. We have to make sure that
> we all use the same word for "File" and other entries that we encounter in
> different places.
> With regard to punctuation, please note that we use the following scheme:
>
> word, next word. That means always make sure you have a word"comma" "space"
> "next word""period"
> Never use: word , next word .

Adding to Arash's Notes:

It is really important to Build a database of the already translated strings,
and use it as frequently as possible. If you face a string, and you are not
sure how to translate it, and you can't find it in the database, then you can
always ask from the list, about the translation of that string.

One more note, as Arash has already pointed out, it is really important to
have a consistent translation. In order to do so, please read one more time,
what Arash said, and also please take a look at some already translated
files, to have a feeling of how the transltion is done.

Please also NEVER use Parantheses (). They couse some real problems, and we
are currently in the proccess of removing them. So please don't use '()' in
your translations.

If anything is unclear, and if you face any problems, please don't hesitate
asking questions from the list.

Cheers
--

/* Those who do not understand Unix
 *are condemned to reinvent it, poorly */