[Kde-i18n-fa] Instructions

Aryan Ameri kde-i18n-fa@mail.kde.org
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 12:44:23 +0200

[ ATTN: Other translators, will also benefit from this. It is highly adviced
that everone reads this ]

On Saturday 22 March 2003 05:03, Ali Naddaf wrote:
> Hello everyone.

Hi Ali:

> I am living in the states and have been working with Linux for a couple of
> years. I wanted to try the KDE Farsi so I wanted to see where I can get the
> instructions and needed fonts. I am currently running SuSE Linux (8.0) with
> KDE 3.1.

SuSE 8.0 with KDE 3.1? Weird combination ;-)

> I have installed the i18n-fa and have added the MS Aerial fonts to my linux
> box through the KDE's font installer. So what more do I need to do and how
> can I switch between the English and Persian. I would like to be able to
> use KEdit to write persian documents if possible.

OK, so you have installed Arial Unicode MS, via KDE's font installer ( I hope
you installed it in the adminstrative/root mode ), and have also downloaded
and installed the kde-i18n-fa package. There isn't much to be done anymore.

After installing Aral Unicode MS, you should make sure that it is the font
which is used in KDE applications. To do so, you should :

1. Go to KDE Control Center
2. Select Apearence and Themes
3. Select Fonts
4. here, select Arial Unicode MS, as your font for everything, don't be afaid,
it's pretty a nice font. You may also want to enable anti-alising for it.

To enable Farsi Keyboard Layout, do the following:

1. Go to KDE Control Center
2. select Accessibility and Regional
3. Select Keyboard Layout
4. In the top of the screen, enable keyboard layouts
5. Then either as your primary layout, or as a secondary layout, select Farsi
6. Select the Options Tab
7. In the last drop down menu, choose:
Alt-Shift Changes Group ( You may also try other combinations, but my
experience shows that this is convenient )

At this point you will have the Farsi keyboard. You can change your primary
keyboard layout with your secondary layout using the Ctrl-Alt-K combintion.
when farsi is your keyboad, you can use Alt-Shift to change betwen Farsi and
English keyboard. At this point, you shall be able to write in KEdit, KMail,
KBabel and KOffice (1.2.1)

Now in order to have the farsi interface, you shall do the following:

1. Go to KDE Control Center
2. Select Accessibility and Regional
3. Select Country/Languageand Region
4. Click on "Add language"
5. If you have intalled the farsi package, you should have farsi in your list
6. Select Farsi, and move it to the top of your list.
7. Click Apply, and then logout of  KDE and restart it.

> On a different note, please let me know if there is anything I can do to
> help; I know my way around Linux and KDE; I am currently writing an open
> source VPN GUI client in for KDE, so I  might be of some use if needed.

Oh, a VPN client for KDE? very nice idea, but doesn't KDE already have a VPN
client? Or maybe that's what you are working at. Is it?

Well, sure, we can always use a hand. Currently, you may want to design and
creat some Unicode TTF font ( which are highly needed ). Or you may want to
join our translators team. Although I have to say that the translation
project doesn't have much programming to do. If you are interested, you may
tell me what you are interested in, and I will give you the appropriate
instructions. If you look at this months histoy of the mailing list, you will
find such instructions written by Arash Zeini.

Cheers
--

/* Those who do not understand Unix
 *are condemned to reinvent it, poorly */