[Kde-i18n-fa] translation

Aryan Ameri kde-i18n-fa@mail.kde.org
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:32:42 +0200

On Saturday 15 March 2003 10:11, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:

> > Well, with the current response that we are getting, I guess we have a
> > couple of enthusiast and qualified people to join the project.
> >
> > If things progress in the same way, we will have a good and consistent
> > team, capable of doing some really cool translation. in that case, maybe
> > farsi in the next version of KDE will be much much better.
> >
> > Arash, how are you going to manage all these enthusiastic people? what
> > are your plans and/or time frame?
> >
> > cheers
>
> First many thanx to all whom answered the request. But let's see the
> reality a little bit. I recieved just 3 of them. and that's not "all these
> people"! Well we are in a really better situation of last year, I admit.
> Well I prefer to wait some other days to see if there would be another
> answer then goto detail

OK, we are in  a better position than last year, and that's good enough in my
opinion.

> Anyway the first step is getting KDE>=3.0  up and running. then installing
> kbabel and farsi font on machine.
> I like any body that didn't do it already to do it ASAP. We are here to
> help in case of any problem.

once upon a time, getting KDE 3.0 up was a hard job. now that most recent
versions of distro, it wouldn't be that much difficult to set up KDE 3.0 and
install Arial Unicode on it.  I would suggest using KDE 3.1 instead of KDE
3.0 for many reasons, first of all, it's much better, and second of all, you
will get a feeling of how the translation is. ofcourse KDE 3.0 would also do
the job.

> Just another thing:

> Aryan mentioned is another mail that we are better to debug our translation
> first then go to new things. I completely disagree with it! The nature of
> OS is continious debugging and it should not prevent us from more
> developing - if we can call it developing -

Though I can see your point arash, I still stick to my point. software is
complex stuff. maybe it would be better for us to take another look at
history and learn from it. Multics was supposed to be a great OS. GE, MIT,
Bell, and many others worked on it for many years. But finally, it became
bloated and they had to abandon the project all the effort that had gone into
it.

Although, I can't compare what we are doing here with Multics, still a
developer should always maintain his software. simply going on, without
looking back is not the way. is it?

--
/* Those who do not understand Unix
are condemned to reinvent it, poorly