[Kde-i18n-fa] KDE Farsi Keyboard Map

Arash Zeini kde-i18n-fa@mail.kde.org
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:13:41 +0330

On Saturday 25 January 2003 07:36, Rapheal Kaplan wrote:

>   My apologies.  I found the Farsi HOW-TO on the web
> site.  I managed to get it working, however I am still
> stuck with having to hold down the ALT key in order to
> type.  It looks like you need to rebuild parts of the
> KDE distribution, but I was wondering if there is a
> pre-built version available...

Hi Rapheal,

if you are not using KDE from source, you should not need to rebuild anyt=
hing.=20
Even then you don't need it anymore as the necessary parts for Farsi have=
=20
been integrated into KDE so that just building kdebase takes care of=20
everything.
This howto is more of a general nature now a days, more useful for other=20
languages that need to test their settings.

If you have RH 8, it should be enough to do the folowing:
Go to: Control Center -> Peripherals -> Keyboard. Here choose the keymap =
for=20
Farsi, which is called Iranian.
Then go to options and there to the drop down box for "Group Shift/Lock=20
behavior:" and choose "Alt+Shift changes group".=20
Once done and applied go to the taskbar and select the keymap for Iranian=
 and=20
press alt+shift. This will change the group to the Iranian keymap.
Now open up an editor like KEdit, choose a font that supports Farsi and t=
ype.=20
Fonts that support Farsi are: Clearlyu, Newspaper, Unifont and Arial Unic=
ode=20
MS. Remember that Unifont and Arial need to be installed on most GNU/Linu=
x=20
systems.

The above instructions are for KDE. I am not sure, if RH 8 handles the=20
situation the same.

>   Thanks.  Excellent work, by the way.

Thanks a lot in the name of all that helped making it possible.

Good luck,
Arash

> >   I've been trying to set up some computers to enter
> > Farsi data under GNU/Linux, and am interested in
> > finding out what kind of success people have been
> > having.  I know that the full release of the Farsi
> > is
> > in the works, but I think we don't need the full
> > release in order to enter data.  I tried to install
> > the RedHat 8.0 "Irainian" keyboard map (ir) but all
> > the characters I typed in turned up Latin.  Is there
> > GNU/Linux KDE keyboard map available?

--=20
The FarsiKDE Project
www.farsikde.org