Context only changes creating fuzzy strings or how to enable pology sieves scripts

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jul 25 22:03:43 BST 2024

El dijous, 25 de juliol del 2024, a les 22:11:38 (CEST), Andre Heinecke va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> recently there was a surge of context additions in KDEPIM code for
> translatable strings. Since someone wrote to this list today to ask about
> untranslated strings in KMail I thought that I should raise the issue here
> as I also looked at KMail last weekend with regards to that problem. Where
> 24.08 more then 20% of German strings are marked fuzzy. While in 24.05
> translation was at 100%
>
> msgfmt --statistics on the summit kmail.po (in rev 1684998) was:
> 1296 translated messages, 288 fuzzy translations.
>
> But if you remove the fuzzy tag from all translations where the msgid and
> the translation is the same in 24.05 as in trunk, you end up with a fully
> translated file. I could find no string in that revision where fuzzy was
> set for a msgid difference.
>
> I wrote a small script using polib to do that and tried to find out where
> the best place would be to add this to the tooling. But then I noticed that
> in pology/sieve there is already a script called:
> unfuzzy_context_only.py
>
> which does this. But I have not yet figured out where this should be added
> or how this could be activated for the German language.
>
> Since this affects not only German or KMail and probably will continue in
> the future I think this script should be run when the messages are
> collected/ merged automatically.

We can not add automatic unfuzying to strings whose context has changed.

Context is critical for translation (and that's why changing it fuzzies the
translation).

After context changes, you need a human to check the translation is still
good.

Example:

string: Archive
translation to Catalan: Arxiu <-- i.e. "An archive"

Then we realize everyone is translating it wrong and it doesn't refer to a
archive but to the action of archiving so we add context

string: Archive
context: Verb, tells the application to Archive the current dataset
translation to Catalan: Arxiva <-- "Imperative form of the verb 'to archive'"

Best Regards,
  Albert