Context only changes creating fuzzy strings or how to enable pology sieves scripts

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 25 21:11:38 BST 2024

Hi,

recently there was a surge of context additions in KDEPIM code for
translatable strings. Since someone wrote to this list today to ask about
untranslated strings in KMail I thought that I should raise the issue here as
I also looked at KMail last weekend with regards to that problem. Where 24.08
more then 20% of German strings are marked fuzzy. While in 24.05 translation
was at 100%

msgfmt --statistics on the summit kmail.po (in rev 1684998) was:
1296 translated messages, 288 fuzzy translations.

But if you remove the fuzzy tag from all translations where the msgid and the
translation is the same in 24.05 as in trunk, you end up with a fully
translated file. I could find no string in that revision where fuzzy was set for
a msgid difference.

I wrote a small script using polib to do that and tried to find out where the
best place would be to add this to the tooling. But then I noticed that in
pology/sieve there is already a script called:
unfuzzy_context_only.py

which does this. But I have not yet figured out where this should be added or
how this could be activated for the German language.

Since this affects not only German or KMail and probably will continue in the
future I think this script should be run when the messages are collected/
merged automatically.
I mean it is fairly easy to automatically check that an added context should
not be the reason for fuzzyness and I think this should be done regardless of
this current trigger.

So any advice or action on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last week it was still easier to see the problem since stable6 had the strings
still without the context and trunk6 had the new "fuzzy" strings.

You can check out
/home/kde/trunk/l10n-support/de/summit/messages/kmail

In revision 1684998 to see it
( svn up -r 1684998  kmail.po )

Best Regards,
Andre

--
GnuPG.com - a brand of g10 Code, the GnuPG experts.

g10 Code GmbH, Erkrath/Germany, AG Wuppertal HRB14459
GF Werner Koch, USt-Id DE215605608, www.g10code.com.

GnuPG e.V., Rochusstr. 44, D-40479 Düsseldorf.  VR 11482 Düsseldorf
Vorstand: W.Koch, B.Reiter, A.Heinecke        Mail: board at gnupg.org
Finanzamt D-Altstadt, St-Nr: 103/5923/1779.   Tel: +49-211-28010702