KDE applications > About <App> dialog - Do not translate names of humans

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat May 21 22:44:26 BST 2022

El dissabte, 21 de maig de 2022, a les 20:07:53 (CEST), Marius P va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> I want that the KDE Project approves the following political decision:
>
> "The About dialog of applications will no longer have
> translated/transliterated human names. I.e. the names of maintainers,
> contributors, etc."

You can have all the whishes you want, but you are not in any position to request that.

If you were a contributor whose name is being transliterated, you could kindly ask for translators not to transliterate your name, that would be a reasonable request, but even then the translators would be well on their right to ignore your request, because you can't know what's the proper way of doing things in all the locales in the world, but as far as I can see you are not in such situation (please excuse me if I'm wrong and your name is part of the credits of some of our software).

We have been doing this for more than 20 years, we're not going to change our ways of working just because someone that just joined the mailing list to send this message thinks it's a bad idea.

> Now. I want to implement this as follows: starting from kcalc. Then on to
> other projects. As a developer,

You don't have a KDE developer account, and if you get it, be sure to not abuse it to commit changes like this.

> I want to only remove the strings which consist
> only of one human name. Nothing else for the next 3 months.

Not going to happen.

Best Regards,