KDE applications > About <App> dialog - Do not translate names of humans

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sat May 21 21:58:10 BST 2022

Marius P skreiv 21.05.2022 20:07:
> I want that the KDE Project approves the following political decision:
>
> "The About dialog of applications will no longer have
> translated/transliterated human names. I.e. the names of maintainers,
> contributors, etc."

I disagree. I think it should be up to each team whether to
transliterate, transcribe or don’t change the names at all. Different
languages (and different translation teams) have different rules and
traditions on transliteration and/or transcription of names.

IMHO, it would be unwise (and a bit culturally insensitive) to *impose*
this rule on the translation teams. They should be able to have the
final say, based on what’s appropriate for *their* language.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer