Urdu and Punjabi Localization

A S Alam apreet.alam at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 16:52:16 BST 2022

Hi TheBlueDot

Welcome to KDE localization and it is great to see efforts for Punjabi
(Shahmukhi). I am working for Punjabi (Gurmukhi script)

On 2022-07-06 10:12, TheBlueDot wrote:
>> So when one translates to Punjabi/Gurmukhhi and Punjabi/Shahmukhi would one
>> use the same words just written in a different script or would it be different
>> words too?

Hi Albert,

Both Languages using different scripts, so language code need to be
different. Locale code need to assigned for Punjabi (Shahmukhi).

There are few references:

1) ISO code: https://iso639-3.sil.org/code_tables/639/data/p

https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/pan -  639-1: pa  - Eastern
Punjabi/Panjabi - Script Gurmukhi
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/pnb -  Western Panjabi  (Script Shahmukhi)

2)  Wikipedia is using ISO code method:
pa - Punjabi (Gurmukhi)  (Left to Right))
pnb - Punjabi (Shahmukhi) (Right to Left)

https://pnb.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%BE%DB%81%D9%84%D8%A7_%D8%B5%D9%81%DB%81

3) CLDR has different method:
pa_Guru: https://st.unicode.org/cldr-apps/v#/pa_Guru_IN//
pa_Arab: https://st.unicode.org/cldr-apps/v#/pa_Arab/

new code will work as guideline for many open source projects.

Thanks
Aman Alam