Urdu and Punjabi Localization

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Jul 6 23:08:47 BST 2022

El dimecres, 6 de juliol de 2022, a les 19:12:06 (CEST), TheBlueDot va
escriure:
> > So when one translates to Punjabi/Gurmukhhi and Punjabi/Shahmukhi would
> > one
> > use the same words just written in a different script or would it be
> > different words too?
>
> There are some words that can and will be different as Gurmukhi has more
> Sansikrit influence while Shahmukhi has more Persian influence. That is not
> to say, words won't overlap
> > If it's the same words written in a different script, can the scripts be
> > transliterated automatically from one script to the other? Or that's not
> > possible?
>
> I don't think the process should be automated because of different word
> choices. Ideally both Gurmukhi and Shahmukhi teams would work in close
> cooperation, using the same word choices wherever possible except the cases
> where it is impossible not to use different vocabulary.

Understood.

To your question "Is the procedure same as Urdu?" the answer is yes, we need
kcoreaddons, kio and kxmlgui as close to 100% as possible to start a new
translation.

But as said again, unless you have *lots* of time, i'd suggest just doing one
language for the moment.