Urdu and Punjabi Localization

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jul 5 22:46:24 BST 2022

Please keep the list in copy.

El dimarts, 5 de juliol de 2022, a les 20:24:41 (CEST), TheBlueDot va
escriure:
> Hello
>
> > For Punjabi we do have some existing localization files, but there isn't
> > anyone working on them.
> >
> > https://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kf5/team/pa/kcoreaddons/
> > https://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kf5/team/pa/kio/
> > https://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kf5/team/pa/kxmlgui/
> >
> > The idea would be the same, get them as close to 100% as possible and send
> > them to me in private (no need to bother the rest of the people in the
> > mailing list with those files).
>
> Punjabi is actually written in two different scripts,
> [Gurmukhhi](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurmukhi)and
> [Shahmukhi](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahmukhi). The one used in
> Pakistan (and by the majority of Punjabis) is Shahmukhi. The localization
> files here are in Gurmukhi. For some reason, KDE shows Gurmukhi Punjabi
> when the region is set as Pakistani Punjabi. I am a Shahmukhi native so I
> would like to do a Shahmukhi translation.

So when one translates to Punjabi/Gurmukhhi and Punjabi/Shahmukhi would one
use the same words just written in a different script or would it be different
words too?

If it's the same words written in a different script, can the scripts be
transliterated automatically from one script to the other? Or that's not
possible?

Because that would saves us lots of time/work if we can have just the
translation in one script and