Translate KDE to Bernese German

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Apr 6 22:24:06 BST 2022

El dimecres, 6 d’abril de 2022, a les 10:42:59 (CEST), Aron Szakacs va escriure:
> Swiss German is a more broad label, but would work as well. Bernese is a
> specific dialect of Swiss German, and would thus be easier to write down
> (as the rules would be clearer).

Seems a similar-ish situation to Occitan where "dialects" are "so different" they may as well be different "languages" (the barrier between dialect and language has always been muddy)

> I didn't know about the language codes. Unfortunately, I don't know of
> any other software project which has these translations, the closest
> that comes to mind is the "alemannic" Wikipedia, which is also written
> in a broad variety and mixture of dialects (including Bernese):
>
> https://als.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Houptsyte
>
> I'm sorry if this isn't of much help. There is a fair amount of Bernese
> literature, and about a million speakers of the dialect, but probably
> very little to no presence in technology at all.

Right, thing is, we really need a language code, looking at
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code_tables/639/data?title=&field_iso639_cd_st_mmbrshp_639_1_tid=All&name_3=german&field_iso639_element_scope_tid=All&field_iso639_language_type_tid=All&items_per_page=200

There's no Bernese German, if you think there should be a "Bernese German" as separate entity from gsw, you should probably talk to somewhere in your government or whoever regulates/promotes Bernese German (no idea if there's a "Bernese German" entity that says "this is right and this is wrong") and ask them about what they think about getting a new language code, it's hard but not impossible, the "Toki Pona" folks got one relatively recently and it definitely doesn't have a million speakers.