Translation How-To renewal

Thiago Masato Costa Sueto herzenschein at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 17:37:41 BST 2021

Am Sa., 26. Juni 2021 um 06:56 Uhr schrieb Antoni Bella Pérez <
antonibella5 at yahoo.com>:

> El divendres, 25 de juny de 2021, a les 17:58:30 CEST, Yuri Chornoivan va
> escriure:
> > пʼятниця, 25 червня 2021 р. 18:36:16 EEST Raghavendra Kamath написано:
> > > Hi Yuri,
> > >
> > > Thank you for initiating this thread.
> > > The example posts by rabbiticTranslator blog are awesome.
> > > We can borrow some of the steps and descriptions if that is permitted.
> > >
> > > I would suggest keeping the outline of the document simple and focusing
> > > on getting the newcomer started easily. We can always link to advanced
> > > tutorials at the end of simple tutorials.
> > >
> > > For the basics here are some steps we could have -
> > >
> > > 1. Introduction and welcome page.
> > >
> > > 2. How translations works in KDE. (getting the pot file and sending the
> > > po file to the team leader or contact ) I can help in creating a flow
> > > chart for this section.
> > >
> > > 3. Contacting the team and choosing the first applications for
> > > translation.
> > >
> > > 4. Getting the sources from svn (with brief introduction to svn)
> > >
> > > 5. Setting up Lokalize step by step. (with links to further reading for
> > > other programs)
> > >
> > > 6. Checking the files for error and sending the files for review.
> > >
> > > 7. Some contact information about IRC and other chatroom for help in
> > > setting things up.
> > >
> > > I know these are most basic steps, I am merely suggesting these as a
> > > start for discussion. May be we can set up a common online editable
> > > document and write the contents of each page in it directly.
> >
> > Thanks. It is here now for all to edit, patch, and lurk ;)
> >
> > https://invent.kde.org/yurchor/kde-translation-howto/-/tree/master
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Yuri
>
>   Hi,
>
>   Nice!!
>
>   Tip for contributors:
>
> mkdir build
> cd build
> meinproc5 ../translation-howto.docbook
>
>   and open build/index.html with your default browser.
>
>   An HTML rendered version is always easier to see completely.
>
>   *I recommend a README.md file with this information and later we will
> add
> the link.*
>
>   Regards
>   Toni
> --
> Dubta que les estrelles siguin foc.
> Dubta que el Sol es mogui.
> Dubta que la veritat sigui mentida.
> Però no dubtis mai que t'estimo.
>         - William Shakespeare
>
> No se n'ha de posar massa
>         - A grandmother on the TV show "Las recetas de Julie"

Greetings, my name is Thiago Sueto and I'm the author of those blog posts,
I'm also a sporadic member of the Brazilian Portuguese localization team.
(I'm not a usual mailing list user, is the correct way to reply just Reply
or Reply All? I'm using Reply to the latest email this time.)
As mentioned during the BoF I'll start working on a draft text for the new
HowTo. I see that Yuri added a general structure to the docbook already,
which should help newbie me a lot.
Major thanks for the brief instructions on how to compile docbooks as well.
:)
Now that Akademy is over and I managed to get my laptop mostly fixed, you
may expect a major MR in the coming week.

On a related topic: we had some brief discussion over the Brazilian
Portuguese team, we pondered the possibility to have different tutorials or
at least two sections in the same tutorial, one for beginner translators
including just the steps to contact the team, where to download files and
how to translate, and another somewhat more elaborate for the sake of those
who, for instance, start their own localization teams and already have
commit access to svn by default (?).
I remember this being mentioned over the BoF, but I don't recall if we
discussed having different explanatory paths for each context. I missed
some bits of the BoF as well.

Regards,
Thiago