Akademy meeting notes

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Sun Sep 20 16:50:48 BST 2020

Luigi Toscano skreiv 17.09.2020 12:46:
>> Had some time to read this thread today, and all looks good, looking forward
>> to a System liked Damned Lies or Weblate, as i have been a bit scared myself
>> to contribute to Swedish translations of KDE, as i have not been brave enough
>> to send a personal email, it would be easier to just log in to a system and
>> start translating or reserve a project to help with
> Please remember that you would have to interact with the team anyway at some
> point.

And IMHO, it’s very important to interact with the team. Translation is
a team effort, and for high-quality, consistent translations, everyone
needs to ‘be on the same page’. That is, one would have to discuss and
agree on translation principles, terminology, phrasing, spelling, etc.
And one should, preferably, regularly do QA work on each other’s
translations. In my experience, that’s extremely helpful, of course in
improvement of the actual translations, but also for improving one’s
skill in translating.

I don’t how the Swedish team works, but for Norway, we also created
detailed linguistic guidelines
(http://i18n.skolelinux.no/retningslinjer.html), a dictionary of common
terms and their approved translations
(http://i18n.skulelinux.no/nb/Fellesordl.eng-no.html). We even had a
small visual dictionary
(http://i18n.skulelinux.no/nb/bildeordbok/bildeordbok.html).
Unfortunately, these resources haven’t been updated in ages, for various
reasons, but have still served us quite well for 20 years. They have
helped us create much higher-quality and more consistent translations
than would otherwise be possible, both for KDE software and for other
free software translated into our language.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer