Akademy meeting notes

Josep Ma. Ferrer txemaq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:30:41 BST 2020

El 17/9/20 a les 12:23, Yaron Shahrabani ha escrit:
> [...]
> It's a different approach, not all TM tools are created equal and I
> understand that some of you experienced some of these tools but I
> assure you that Weblate is far different than Zanata or Launchpad, it
> truly works for the translator and has tight git integration
> (configurable), the overhead is decreased dramatically, just give it a
> try.

I did a test comparing Lokalize and Weblate. Starting point in both
cases is an open file to translate, and I tried to see the first 10
messages of each file, a common task doing translations.

- Lokalize: I have pressed the PgDn key 10 times to jump to the next
message, and each jump is instantaneous

- Weblate: I have pressed the "Skip" button 10 times to jump to the next
message. From pressing the button to showing the next message there is
an average delay of 2.70 seconds. With a translation like Amarok (2639
messages) this is an overall delay of almost 2 hours. Tested with a
100Mbit/s optical fiber connection.

So, Weblate has some positive points but also some negative points. And
each team must decide if they use an online tool after some hard
thoughts, so Weblate or other online tools must be opt-in.

Josep Ma. Ferrer