Akademy meeting notes

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 05:58:01 BST 2020

Yaron Shahrabani

<DevOps - Hebrew translator>

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 1:13 AM Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El diumenge, 13 de setembre de 2020, a les 14:48:01 CEST, Yaron Shahrabani
> va escriure:
> > > - It will not be possible to "commit a translation" from the web system
> > > unless you have commit access in svn
> > >
> > I think that it will be easier to implement it using a centralized
> solution
> > like LDAP/SAML which are already implemented.
>
> No, we already have a list of the people that can commit, it's called the
> KDE committers list, we're not going to create a parallel system, the web
> translation system needs to be integrated with what we already have.

What do you mean by list? An actual plain text file with nicknames?
Can you specify its exact whereabouts so I can understand the technical
overhead?
What about KDE invent? I see that there's some sort of ACL over there,
can't we use that?

> About the rest, thanks for your offer for help, it's appreciated,
> personally I'm not involved in any of this web tool efforts, so I hope that
> whoever is contacts you :)

Thanks!

> Cheers,
>   Albert
>

> To my knowledge all tools that are apples to apples to Weblate in that
> they allow submitting suggestions via a browser, are open source and be
> self hosted w/o license fees (Pootle, Zanata) are dead. Pootle hasn't had a
> release in 3 years and asked the Monero localization team if we were
> interested in taking over when we asked about some bugs as they no longer
> want to own it. Zanata is in a similar state of abandonment. Other
> solutions like Transifex don't allow self hosting which is presumably a
> requirement given elsewhere KDE has said they want to own / self host
> things as small as Telegram <-> Matrix chat client bridges and discouraged
> third party based bridges which would have taken maybe 10 minutes. Weblate
> really is to my knowledge the only notably active tool that would meet
> KDE's needs. Not to mention Weblate is adopted by notable FOSS projects
> like Fedora, OpenWrt, and Godot Engine who are likely to contribute in some
> form back to improving Weblate.

It's mostly about money, Weblate is offering paid hosting and support so
the libre hosting plan is actually the beta testing environment
(Self-hosted can use a stable version, just like Fedora infra does, but the
libre hosting plan acts more like a staging environment).
Money keeps this system up and running while leading the open source TM
solutions (I'm only familiar with TranslateWiki as an actively developed
open source TM).

I am happy to create and maintain any Weblate documentation once things
> like approval workflow are decided upon. Please link me to ticket if one
> already exists for creating documentation. Fortunately because using
> Weblate is relatively simple to use, documentation would be relatively
> simple.

It would be great!
Have you browsed through the current documentation? It's pretty well
documented, BTW we can encourage the volunteers to actively contribute to
the main documentation thus giving something back to the project instead of
forking their documentation.