[Kde-hardware-devel] Fw:KScreen OSD

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Fri Jul 24 11:34:21 UTC 2015

On Friday, July 24, 2015 05:35:49 PM 翟翔 wrote:
> [...]

Awesome! I recommend that you contact the respective developers for those
projects as well (generally mailing to plasma-devel mailing list would be
fine, all the relevant devs read it).

> > I just went through the code briefly, but unfortunatelly the way it is
> > done
> > right now is absolutely unmergeable and does not align at all with our
> > plans.
>
> I will 100% use libkscreen!
>
> Recently it is skeleton, so I simply use xrandr, I will use libkscreen`s
> SetConfigOperation ;-)

Yes, that was one of the major concerns :) The other major concern of mine is
that you hardcode some of the things (like detecting laptop screen by using
"LVDS" is wrong, some laptop screens are called "eDP" for example - you want
to use KScreen::Output::type() and check for KScreen::Output::Panel)

> > Would you mind describing your intentions, what functionality are you
> > planning
> > and what's the general usecase for your OSD? We could then discuss how to
> > implement it in a way that will be possible to merge into main
> > branches and
> > get into releases?
>
> I just copy the Windows 8 right side hot zone for multiply outputs
> settings usecase.

Yes, we wanted to do something like that too, because it's really nice.

The plan we had in mind was to use the same thing that "Add Widget" or
"Activities" panels in Plasma use or what KWin is using when you press Alt+Tab
to show list of windows. I was told that the panel a simple Plasma Dialog -
which means we could easily implement that in QML. I also think there is no
need to have a standalone  application for that, instead we could just show
the dialog from the KDED module.

The KDED module already implements the logic for switching between mirror
(clone), extend left, extend right, laptop only, so you would only have to
implement to show the OSD when something changes, saving you lots of work :)

For the icons, I don't know where they came from :) but they don't follow the
Breeze icon set very much. I am on Akademy (the annual KDE conference )right
now, so I can try to talk to someone from Visual Design Group to design the
icons for us if you want.

Also for future reference, please avoid hardcoding colors into code - it may
look OK on your computer, but people who use different color theme for KDE
will have it look ugly and may end up with dark text on dark background or
vice-versa :-)

> There are PC screen only, mirror, extend and second screen only for
> Laptop users.
>
> I want to be merged into master branch, I learn how to contact with
> other developers, sorry for my poor English ;P

Awesome! Let me know what you think about what I suggested above, I'm of
course opened to discussion :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Vrátil
Email: dvratil at kde.org
Jabber: dan.vratil at kdetalk.net
IRC: dvratil on Freenode (#kde, #kontact, #akonadi)