[Kde-hardware-devel] [GSoC] Extend&expand previous year project: KCM for pointing devices

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Mar 9 13:06:46 UTC 2014

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the quick answers...

On Sunday, March 09, 2014 19:39:40 Alexander Mezin wrote:
> > What's the status of this? I've never seen this KCM, though it looks
> > useful
> > from the screenshot you post.
>
> I think it's ready for every-day use, I'll make 1.0 release soon. The
> only serious problem I know is that plasmoid is visible in
> notification area even when there's no touchpad. A bit offtopic: don't
> you know how could plasmoid remove itself from notification area?

Removing itself is currently not possible (in Plasma stable), but you can set
it to passive, and it will move into the hidden section. That's done like this
(for Plasma 1):

plasmoid.status = PassiveStatus

In Plasma Next, you can use DBusActivation, and only load your plasmoid once a
dbus interface becomes available, see this blog for more details:

http://vizzzion.org/blog/2014/02/dbus-activated-systemtray-plasmoids/

> > An important data point, at least for me, is: What is the status of
> > previous year's project? What's missing, why? If nothing's missing, why
> > was it never included with KDE SC (or perhaps it was, just never
> > advertised, and gets disabled on my machine?)
>
> Currently it's in one of "playground" repositories. It will be
> installed by default with KUbuntu 14.04, it's included in Arch Linux
> repositories now, for example. I didn't propose it to be included
> anywhere at all, maybe that's the reason why it isn't in KDE SC.
>
> Also, it's written for Qt 4/KDElibs 4, but AFAIK nothing new could be
> added to KDE workspace 4 now.

Correct, it's feature frozen. A good sign forward is to see that some distros
are shipping it, so it gets some real-world exposure.

> New project will be based on Frameworks, and I plan to replace mouse KCM.

That sounds like a sound direction. Make sure you don't regress on features,
as that will make users angry and might cause delays in getting your code in
at all, in general, be careful with your approach.

Cheers,
--
sebas