[Kde-hardware-devel] Problems with KDE settings and Kscreen... I think...

Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Fri Dec 27 17:33:41 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 03 December 2013 00:55:07 George R Goffe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded my Fedora system from Fedora 16 to Fedora 19 x86_64 and
> have been "exploring"... changing things from their defaults to the way I
> had things in Fedora 16.
>
> I have been having a heck of a time with KDE settings and Kscreen.
>
> I have an Asus laptop with a Samsung "TV" as the second monitor connected
> via HDMI. I used to be able to disable the laptop screen and just use the
> Samsung. I use "system settings" -> "hardware" -> "display and monitor" ->
> "display configuration" to attempt this. I get problems:
>
> 1) I frequently loose the mouse. Where is it? In the other display that is
> now dark?
This is certainly not our fault, I don't know what advice give you here :/
> 2) The current widgets (Konsole and Firefox) shift their
> locations, some of the Konsoles (I have 3 up) disappear and some actually
> are relocated to another part of the screen. Sometimes about half way off
> the right hand edge of the display.
This is a known behavior in KWin (what manages these things), the weird thing
is that it did not happen to you before because it has been happening since
forever.
Check if there is a bug open in http://bugs.kde.org, if not fill a new one.

> 3) I seem to be getting X core files as
> well although I've not yet pinpointed the steps required to do this. Maybe
> it's ctrl-alt-backspace?
What are these "X core files" ?

> Could some kind soul give me some pointers or hints or tips or clues about
> this problem? I'd like to give back to the opensource community if
> possible.

Point 1 I don't really know what to tell you, you are the first one having this
issue.
Point 2 is a known thing, we are working to make it better.
Point 3 I don't understand :/

Cheers.