[Kde-hardware-devel] About the sprint

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:55:01 UTC 2011

Hello ppl, It's too bad I couldn't show up at the sprint… too much work these days!
 Nevertheless I'd like to propose a couple of problems which would be great if you guys could work on and find some kind of acceptable solution:

 - the status of encrypted devices is currently quite complicated because users of solid (i.e. the device notifier, the device runner and dolphin primarily) need to take care of the legacy behavior given by the HAL backend. In particular, here is what happens:
  * HAL: an encrypted device is plugged in, an "encrypted container"; once this device is opened, a new device (corresponding to the unencrypted device unlocked by giving a pwd) shows up, and this one can be used as a regular device. Once done, the latter device should be unmounted and the container re-locked, which causes the "regular device" to disappear. Only then the device can be unplugged
  * udisks: encrypted devices work precisely as regular devices; however, since we need to mantain compatibility with the HAL backend,
      many weird things happen: different buttons in the device notifier, no actions but "open in dolphin", etc…

I foresee two possibilities: either drop support for HAL, or change the behavior of the HAL backend in order to comply with the new fdisk one.

- the unmount/eject routine of the fdisk backend is giving (not only to me; there are a number of br's about this) a few headaches; the point is that, as it is now, basically a disk is always ejected after unmount, regardless of udisks properties. For instance, this implies that if one plugs a device with more than one partition, mount and unmounts one of them, the device disappears and one needs to unplug/replug it to have it back, for instance if we need to open the other partition.

 Thanks
  Jacopo

 -- Device Notifier Mantainer