[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: 4.7 Release is coming, are we ready?

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sun Jun 12 00:20:33 CEST 2011

On Saturday, June 11, 2011 06:20:00 PM you wrote:
> Em Saturday 11 June 2011, Alex Fiestas escreveu:
> > Hi there fellow metalworkers!
>
> 	Hi Alex and everybody.
>
> > If you have any doubts just aks :) these are my questions:
> >
> > Where are we on NetworkManagement?
>
> 	Development is progressing in both master and nm09 branches, Will is
> working on libnm-qt branch. Every couple of weeks we have one or two new
> features implemented and several bugs fixed (specially in nm09 branch).
> Things are improving fast compared to one year ago. We also have more
> people contributing regularly, like Ilia Kats and Rajeesh K Nambiar.
Perfect to see that more people is helping, do you know if they're subscribed
to this mailist? would be nice to have them on board for Berlin Dekstop Summit
and for the Sprint.

> > Can we say that we have support for NM0.9?
>
> 	Yes, nm09 branch supports everything that the master branch does now. We
> still need to implement some NM-0.8 features in both branches, such as
> Bluetooth Cdma tethering, Cdma interfade details (signal quality, operator's
> name, etc) and VPN interface details, hidden essid wifi. We also need to
> implement some NM-0.9 new features, like support to LTE modems and Wimax.
Great news! we've to find a good way of documenting this.

> > Is the current NetworkManagement status documented somewhere? (we've at
> > least 3 development branches)
>
> 	Only in my blog posts and for the libnm-qt branch there is the
> MERGE_NOTES file in the the root directory.
>
> 	There is only one problem for KDE SC 4.7.0: kdelibs'
> Solid::Networking::status() depends on a NetworkManager backend to get
> network status from NM. Some programs like Gluon depends on S::N::status()
> to work properly. Since the NM backend in kde-workspace does not work with
> NM-0.9 there can be problems for those who do not use any of the Plasma NM
> branches (nm09, libnm-qt) or the Fedora in-house solution. That accounts
> for everybody who uses nm-applet in Plasma desktop.
I see, we've to fix that ASAP since kdelibs will be freezed until KDE Framworks
is released, meaning that either we fix this now or we have to wait 1 year at
least.

I will start working on it today.