[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: 4.7 Release is coming, are we ready?

Lamarque Vieira Souza lamarque at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 23:20:00 CEST 2011

Em Saturday 11 June 2011, Alex Fiestas escreveu:
> Hi there fellow metalworkers!

	Hi Alex and everybody.

> If you have any doubts just aks :) these are my questions:
>
> Where are we on NetworkManagement?

	Development is progressing in both master and nm09 branches, Will is
working on libnm-qt branch. Every couple of weeks we have one or two new
features implemented and several bugs fixed (specially in nm09 branch). Things
are improving fast compared to one year ago. We also have more people
contributing regularly, like Ilia Kats and Rajeesh K Nambiar.

> Can we say that we have support for NM0.9?

	Yes, nm09 branch supports everything that the master branch does now. We
still need to implement some NM-0.8 features in both branches, such as
Bluetooth Cdma tethering, Cdma interfade details (signal quality, operator's
name, etc) and VPN interface details, hidden essid wifi. We also need to
implement some NM-0.9 new features, like support to LTE modems and Wimax.

> Is the current NetworkManagement status documented somewhere? (we've at
> least 3 development branches)

	Only in my blog posts and for the libnm-qt branch there is the
MERGE_NOTES file in the the root directory.

	There is only one problem for KDE SC 4.7.0: kdelibs'
Solid::Networking::status() depends on a NetworkManager backend to get network
status from NM. Some programs like Gluon depends on S::N::status() to work
properly. Since the NM backend in kde-workspace does not work with NM-0.9
there can be problems for those who do not use any of the Plasma NM branches
(nm09, libnm-qt) or the Fedora in-house solution. That accounts for everybody
who uses nm-applet in Plasma desktop.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.geographicguide.com/brazil.htm