[Kde-hardware-devel] Announcing new chief metalworker

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 12:02:54 CEST 2011

Hello dear metalworkers,

As some of you might know, I've been working on the hardware awareness in the
KDE community since my very first contribution in 2003. It all started because
as a user I wanted a couple of icons in Kicker and from there I just kept
digging lower in the stack.

In parallel I've been working on other projects of the community, and some of
them deserve more attention from me, so it's time to reduce my involvement in
some areas, Solid being one of them.

Don't be mistaken, I'm not running away screaming and leaving everyone in
wonder, but I needed to make choices and IMO it's the right time for me to
step down. Indeed, during the past year a lot have been achieved, and the
community has been growing. That's why lately, I've been looking into someone
to replace me and I'm glad I found someone so I could step down responsibly.

So I'm happy to announce that I'm passing the torch to our own Alex Fiestas.
You probably all know him, he's a great metalworker, and even seems more
active and lively than me at times. I'm confident he'll be able to efficiently
lead the community toward new adventures and getting our frameworks and
applications to cooperate with even more different type of devices.

Also note that I'm not simply dumping the lot onto Alex, we've a transition
plan, so I'll still review patches and such. I'll just be slowly fading away
through the course of 2011. Longer term I'll still be around, and I'll likely
keep ranting on libsolid API changes from time to time (libsolid API being
rather stable it's not a huge amount of work for me anyway).

If you have any questions regarding this announcement, feel free to ask!

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net