[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Solid & Firewire devices

jb jb at kdenlive.org
Sat Oct 9 23:58:47 CEST 2010

On Saturday 09 October 2010 16:47:08 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 23:55:46 jb wrote:
> > >
> > > Short answer is likely: no.
> > > Now it depends which kind of device it is, from our POV Firewire is
> > > just a bus type, on libsolid API that's the type of device (whatever
> > > bus it uses) which matters.
> >
> > Ok, so if I understand, a firewire camcorder should normally be reported
> > as a Solid::Video type?
>
> Actually not, now that I think I see more your usecase, Video is really
> about devices providing a video stream (think webcam), not about a
> camcorder where you get files from (which seem to be the case for you,
> right?).

No. I am not getting files from the camcorder, I grab a video stream through
the firewire interface (using a programm called dvgrab). That's the common way
to grab video from a DV or HDV camcorder.

> In such a case, I think that in the end your device would end up exposed as
> StorageVolume + StorageAccess if I'm not mistaken. Is there anything
> similar to USB Mass Storage in the Firewire world? I'm unfortunately not
> equipped to check support for those devices on my system (from your output
> it seems we can't do anything about them using HAL though).

Anyways, you probably have more important issues to work on for Solid.
My idea was just to get notified when the camera is connected so that the
program can automatically display the necessary actions when the camera is
plugged.

Thanks and regards