[Kde-hardware-devel] Re: Solid & Firewire devices

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sat Oct 9 16:47:08 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 22 September 2010 23:55:46 jb wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 23:45:33 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 September 2010 23:23:00 jb wrote:
> > > So my question is: is there a way to query the ieee1394 devices through
> > > Solid?
> >
> > Short answer is likely: no.
> > Now it depends which kind of device it is, from our POV Firewire is just
> > a bus type, on libsolid API that's the type of device (whatever bus it
> > uses) which matters.
>
> Ok, so if I understand, a firewire camcorder should normally be reported as
> a Solid::Video type?

Actually not, now that I think I see more your usecase, Video is really about
devices providing a video stream (think webcam), not about a camcorder where
you get files from (which seem to be the case for you, right?).

In such a case, I think that in the end your device would end up exposed as
StorageVolume + StorageAccess if I'm not mistaken. Is there anything similar
to USB Mass Storage in the Firewire world? I'm unfortunately not equipped to
check support for those devices on my system (from your output it seems we
can't do anything about them using HAL though).

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net