[Kde-hardware-devel] some tasks consequence of the Solid Sprint

Agustín Benito Bethencourt (Toscalix) toscalix at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 16:31:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

hello everybody. I know some of you but not everybody. This is my first intro to
solid. I'm right now at the solid sprint. I'm not a dev.

There is the idea in the air here that Solid is actually becomming a team.
Definitely it looks like this is correct from my point of view. In order to
reflect that externally, I have the following suggestions. Some of these are my
personal summary of some things discussed during the sprint. Notes are being
taken of what's going on during the sprint so they might differ a little from
what I've written here:

Mailing lists
1.- I would change the name of the mailing list including the word solid: kde-
solid-devel
1.2.- The actual mailing list is lacking a description:

IRC channel
1.- The IRC channel should be included in Solid techbase documentaction page as
a channel for further information

Branding
1.- Changing the name of the componets in order to include the word Solid on the
components names:
BlueDevil -> BlueSolid
Power Devil -> Power Solid

This has to be reflected on Techbase and the rest of KDE tools and code (if
possible).

KDE Forums
1.- When I looked for the words hardware, driver or solif in the forums, the
questions are distributed in many different sections. Some of them deal partly or
completely to software-hardware interacion, which is the Solid team scope (in
progress). Some of this forum sections are:
* Internet & network
* Appearance & System Customization (monitor config related)
* Other KDE Software
* KWin
* Internet and network (related to network manager)
* Workspace (sometimes related to graphic cards)
* Graphics & Multimedia (related to monitor config & graphic cards)

It would be good to have a specific section for software-hardware interaction.
Some names that could work:
* Solid: hardware management
* Solid: Software-hardware interaction
* Solid: hardware control components

Team representative

In order to open an official channel with hardware vendors, driver developers and
external free software projects  to solve communication problems detected
between the solid team and members of these groups/entities, the Solid team
propose to name one person, who will become active when a team member reports a
failure in a communication process to solve a problem detected in KDE or
reported through KDE channels that has to deal with somebody else's work (like a
driver, for example).

It is recommended that this person has the support of the KDE e.V. since maybe
part of his work will be to scale the communication at a higher level and talk
to representatives from vendors, manufacturers or free software project
representatives. So in practice, this person will be seen as a KDE
representative and not just a Solid "communication manager".

Solid web page/Techbase

Kevin proposed (and I agreed) to close the current cms. Actually, this cms has
contect oriented to users and developers. The developer oriented content will be
place it at techbase and the user oriented content into userbase. We should
contact userbase admins to see if this content fit the approach followeb in
Userbase.

0.- The solid project webpage should be : http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/solid
that do not exist right now

1.- Solid techbase page will include
1.1.- A link to a wiki page for every component.
1.1.1.- Network Management: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Network_Management
1.2.- A link to the solid tutorials:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials#Hardware_Awareness_.28Solid.29
1.3.- The Getting involved info from the actual CMS:
http://solid.kde.org/cms/1086
1.4.- The History info from the actual CMS, although it must be completed with a
general view of every component
1.5.- A list of team members associated to the component they work on (or can be
contacted for)
1.6.- The actual logo
1.7.- The roadmap
1.8.- A link to the bugzilla
1.9.- A link to the forum (the solid section suggested)

2.- The KDE Print component is actually not consider a part of Solid. Maybe in a
near future can be considered as one of them.

3.- The section Architecture of techbase has a wikipage related to Solid:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Architecture/KDE4/Solid
3.1- The architecture section should be improved to reflect the actual state of
art, including the components that are part of solid, along with a further
explanation of the architecture.
3.1.1- The last sentence should include the links to the referred parts (kdelibs
and kdebase)
3.1.2.- From this page it should be possible to go to the .../Projects/Solid
wiki page and viceversa
--
Saludos

---