[Kde-hardware-devel] Help needed: Make libsolid 4.6 running without HAL

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Nov 8 23:55:08 CET 2010

Dear metalworkers,

At the end of Forge 0, we entered for the left over tasks of the sticky note
board. Some of them got marked as "release_blocker" because we need them to be
solved in order to reach our 4.6 goal of having a libsolid running only on the
new generation of backends, leaving the HAL backend disabled by default.

It turns out two of the most critical backends are almost there (udisks and
upower) but the last one (udev) is lagging behind. Rafael is maintaining it,
but he's progressing slowly ATM. So please, take some time to give him a hand
and try to solve a bug from the remaining list. There's only 6 left, you can
find them here: http://bit.ly/9uDeDx

We really need the udev backend to have those bugs closed before November 18th
IMO. This way our new backends will get proper testing before the final
release. Without such a large testing phase we'd be doing a disservice to
users by blindly switching. We've only ten days left, after that I'm afraid
I'll have to postpone the transition to 4.7.

Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net